Hyndburn Borough Council

Hyndburn Borough Council

Do You need Planning Permission?

Do You Need Planning Permission?

View pages in this section

Signing a contract




Permitted development rights enable you to make certain changes without formal planning permission.

Get the latest general advice from the Planning Portal using the link in the logo above.

Temporary rules allowing larger single-storey rear extensions to be built under permitted development apply for development between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2019. See the link below to Extensions (on the Planning Portal) and follow the  link on the Planning Portal to the neighbour consultation scheme.

The Council have a pre-application advice service which we advise you to use prior to submitting an application or  carrying out development. This can be found on the  pages below.

See Further information below for HBC validation checklists -  our requirements for individual application types. Please scroll down the list of downloads to find the correct checklist.

For information about signs follow this link:

Outdoor Advertisements and Signs

It is your responsibility for seeking, or not seeking, planning permission. If required, planning permission must be granted before any work begins or you may be liable to enforcement action.

Even if you do not need Planning Permission you may need approval of your works to ensure that they comply with the Building Regulations.  For further details please visit the Building Control section of the website.

For advice prior to  demolition see the Demolition pages of the HBC website and the Planning Portal.

Further information

Validation Checklists Adopted Dec 2012

Individual Validation Checklists for different application types.

Extensions (On the Planning Portal)

Planning Portal page listing conditions where you do not need to apply for planning permission (permitted development). See the link on the Planning Portal page to "neighbour consultation scheme" a temporary scheme for larger rear house extensions. Please note that extensions under this scheme must be COMPLETED by 30th May 2019, and this scheme cannot be used if work has commenced.

Outdoor Advertisements and Signs

Booklet explaining the rules for outdoor signs and advertisements

Planning Portal Online Application and Paper Forms

A link to the paper forms chooser and the online application system on the Planning Portal.

How useful was this information?

Hello Guest,

Please rate how useful you found this information by clicking on a star rating below. 1 being poor and 5 being excellent.

This page has been rated out of 5 from ratings.

Contact the Council

Telephone: +44 (0) 1254 388 111

Send your feedback or find key contact details.