Hyndburn Borough Council

Hyndburn Borough Council

How To Complain About Your Councillor

How Will My Complaint Be Dealt With?

View pages in this section

In the first instance, your complaint will be considered by the Monitoring Officer.  If possible and appropriate the complaint will be resolved by the Montoring Officer.  The Monitoring Officer will investigate your complaint and will seek to resolve it informally - for example, by advising the councillor concerned about their future conduct or by seeking an apology.

If you do not agree to the Monitoring Officer's proposal for the resolution of your complaint, or if the Monitoring Officer does not consider it appropriate to deal with your complaint herself (for example, because of its sensitivity or possible seriousness), your complaint will be referred to the Council's Assessment Panel.  This comprises 2 members of the Standards Committee, plus an independent person, who is not a councillor.

The Assessment Panel can decide to do one of the following:

  • to refer your complaint to the Council's Monitoring Officer for formal investigation.
  • to refer your complaint to theCouncil's Monitoring Officer for informal resolution.
  • to take no action in respect of your complaint.

The Assessment Panel will use the Standards Committee assessment criteria to assess your complaint and decide what action to take.  You can view the criteria using the link below:

The Assessment Criteria 

For further information about the initial assessment process, please refer to the following policies:

The Policy re Anonymous Complaints


The Policy re Confidentiality

Further information

Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG)

Link to further information.

Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG)

Link to further information.

How useful was this information?

Hello Guest,

Please rate how useful you found this information by clicking on a star rating below. 1 being poor and 5 being excellent.

This page has been rated out of 5 from ratings.

Contact the Council

Telephone: +44 (0) 1254 388 111

Send your feedback or find key contact details.