Helping to deliver education in 2010/11….
- We are working with 3 education providers including one of Hyndburn’s High Schools to enable 7 Hyndburn students to obtain a Business and Finance Diploma. The students have completed the first year of their syllabus and have carried out a number of activities for the diploma here at the Council and supported by Hyndburn employees at their school. One of these included stepping in to the “Dragons Den” where students presented their business idea for personalised mugs as part of a marketing and sales activity.
- Hyndburn’s Family Intervention Project provided support for more than 20 of our most vulnerable families. Evaluation has demonstrated real improvements in positive activities, educational attainment, emotional health and school attendance through intensive, co-ordinated support.
- We helped finance the first ‘eco classroom’ in the UK which has been designed and procured by local schoolchildren to educate them about the construction industry and the environment.
- Project Pride Accrington involves a team of local schoolchildren from Hollins Technology College who have been working with an artist to create four textile banners which are displayed in the Market Hall, celebrating the heritage of Accrington.
- Hyndburn achieved its best ever GCSE results in 2010. 77% of pupils in Hyndburn achieved 5 or more GCSEs at grades A*-C.