Do You Need Planning Permission?

Dropping a Kerb – Making a Vehicle Crossing

A vehicle crossing involves:

  • lowering of the kerbs at the edge of the road to allow access to your property/driveway.
  • strengthening of the crossing from your property boundary to the edge of the road.
  • where required, moving or protecting items such as street light columns, railings and bollards and any pipes or cables belonging to public utilities underneath the crossing.

Please follow the link below to the Lancashire County Council home page and enter Vehicle Crossings in the search box.

Also see previous pre-application advice pages as you need to obtain confirmation whether or not you need Planning Permission before LCC will proceed with your work. If you intend to pave your front garden as part of the work please refer to the guidance.

If you are changing the amount of parking available please see the Car Parking and Access Standards pages.

You may need planning permission to drop the kerb (if the road is Classified A, B, or C you will definitely need permission) so check the LCC page referred to above. If you need planning permission for other works include the area from your curtilage to the road in the red outline on your location plan. You will need to inform LCC (as the owner of the pavement) of your intentions and complete the application form indicating LCC are aware of your plans.

LCC will need written evidence that you do not need planning permission before they will proceed – use the pre-application service for this confirmation.

If you want to make a vehicle crossing over the pavement or verge you need to contact Lancashire County Council as they are responsible for the verge and pathways.

If you want  to apply for planning permission without pre-application advice go to this internal page:

Submitting a Planning Application