Empty Homes

Open to Access Properties

General information

The Housing Standards Team have powers to make secure vacant domestic properties and commercial buildings which are open to unauthorised access.

Officers will contact the Police to make sure they are aware of the situation in case a burglary has taken place.

A Council Officer will then visit the property and photograph the point/s of entry which are usually the front or rear door or ground floor windows. If the property is open to access then a notice will be served on the owner of the building, usually giving them 48 hours to make the property secure or immediately if the situation is serious. The Council will arrange for the work to be carried out in default if the owner does not comply with the requirements of the notice.

To report an open to access property please contact a member of the Housing Standards Team.

If the property has been vacant for longer than 6 months please inform the Council when you report it. The information relating to the long term vacant property will be referred to the Empty Homes Officer.


Housing Standards Team, Scaitcliffe House, Ormerod Street, Accrington, BB5 0PF

Tel: 01254 388111

Email: strat@hyndburnbc.gov.uk