Garden Waste Subscription – Terms and Conditions
The Garden Waste Subscription Service commenced 1st August 2017
1. You have agreed to pay Hyndburn Borough Council (referred to as us, our, the Council) at Scaitcliffe House, Ormerod Street, Accrington, BB5 0PF to collect garden waste that has been placed in a Green domestic sized wheeled bin (240L or below). The period of collection for 2019/2020 runs from 1 August to 31 July annually. However, you can put your new sticker/s on your bin/s as soon as you receive it/them.
2. In line with the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation & Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, you have fourteen days from date of payment to request cancellation of this service. On cancellation we will reimburse to you all payments received from you within 14 days. Requests to cancel the service must be in writing to Accrington Town Hall, Broadway Offices, Accrington, BB5 1EZ or e-mailed to email@example.com or contact us by telephone on 01254 388 111. A cancellation instruction is included at Appendix A.
3. Once you have subscribed and payment is received a sticker will be posted out to your address. To subscribe, please go to the Council’s website www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/garden-waste-subscription
4. Our crew will not empty any bin that does not display a valid current sticker, unless instructed to by a Supervisor. If your sticker becomes detached or lost, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org a replacement sticker will be posted to your address. It is your responsibility to place the sticker on the Green bin as instructed.
5. Collection cost is a standard price with no reduction for part year subscriptions and no refunds or part refunds should the service be cancelled part way through the year. Any evidence of misuse of the service or the bin/s may result in the service being cancelled, without a refund being available.
6. Green bins are emptied fortnightly, except for a short period over the winter/non-growing season (December, January & February) or when other factors stop us, such as unusually inclement weather which makes collections impractical or unsafe. The Council reserves the right to suspend collections. Our crews are instructed to empty all green bins, presented before 7.30am with a valid subscription sticker. The Council does not return for missed collections.
7. Your Green bin/s must be used for garden waste from domestic properties or registered charities (Schedule 2) only (yours or your neighbour). Only garden waste can be deposited loosely in the bin. Garden waste includes grass cuttings, leaves, cut plants, flowers, hedge cuttings, garden prunings, twigs and small branches. The garden waste must not be placed in plastic bags. Large branches, soil, stone, rubble, domestic waste, pet waste and food waste cannot be placed in the garden waste bin.
8. If you employ a gardener or handyman service to maintain your garden, they should make provision to take away the waste and dispose of it as commercial waste.
9. Contaminated bins (i.e. bins containing incorrect materials) will not be emptied. If your bin is contaminated, it is your responsibility to remove the item/s of contamination prior to the next collection. If the contamination continues, we may remove the bin/s and no refund will be issued.
10. No side waste will be collected, i.e. no extra waste next to the bin/s or placed on the lid/s. If the bin is too heavy to be lifted safely, the householder will be expected to remove some garden waste making it safe to lift for the next scheduled collection.
11. The bin/s is provided for use by residents, but remains the property of the Council. There is no limit to the number of bins a household can subscribe to for their property. Only bins supplied by the Council will be emptied. Garden waste presented in any other receptacles will not be collected.
12. The garden waste subscription is linked to the property and not the resident, so if you move to another address in Hyndburn please do not take your bin/s with you. The bin must remain at the address for which the subscription was paid.
13. Payment is required every year in advance of the service being delivered using the online payment service by debit or credit card. Subscription renewal is your responsibility, and failure to re-subscribe will result in the garden waste collection service being cancelled for your property.
14. We shall not be liable for any delay or failure to perform any of our obligations if the delay or failure results from events or circumstances outside our reasonable control.
15. Statutory Rights – these terms and conditions of the garden waste subscription service do not affect your statutory rights.
16. Data Protection Statement – We will only use the personal details you have provided for this service to contact you by letter, telephone or email for matters related to the garden waste service and to inform you any similar service provided by the Council that may be of interest to you. You may tell us at any time if you don’t want to receive marketing communications from us by writing to us providing your full name and address.
We will also use your information for analysis purposes to improve our service. This will be anonymised prior to any disclosure, e.g. under the Freedom of Information Act regarding service take-up volumes.
To see more about how we record and store your information please see the Council’s privacy notice at https://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/privacy-notice/
Instruction for cancellation
In line with the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation & Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, I
Wish to cancel my subscription to the garden waste collection service with immediate effect.
Date:Subscribe to the Garden Waste service