Applying for a New Hackney Carriage, Private Hire or Joint Driver Licences
To apply for a Joint driver’s licence an applicant must be at least 18 years old and have held a full British Driving Licence for one year.
You will need to complete the on-line application form by clicking on the below link. Below is further information in regard to applying for a licence, it is strongly recommended that you read it and click on the links for further information.
- To see more about how we record and store your information please see the Council’s privacy notice.
- An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) disclosure certificate will be required. You can obtain one from TaxiPlus, once you have submitted your application form we will send you the instructions and the link in order for you to obtain one. It is a requirement that you join the DBS update service.
- An electronic check will be carried out on your driving licence, an e-mail will be sent to you when this is required.
- A Medical Form (completed medicals can be submitted at the knowledge test stage, not at the time of application).
- The area knowledge test consists of 50 questions on the rules and regulations, along with some general safety questions and high way code. There is also 15 questions on locations and directions. Please note a list of locations will not be provided as the test is based on your knowledge of the area. When attending for your knowledge test you will also need to provide your Right to Work identification, more information is available below. You can also provide your medical if it has been completed.
- An information leaflet for our ‘Steering to Success’ college course
- Rules and Regulations
- The Government have introduced a National Register of Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Revocations (NR3). For further information please view the Council’s NR3 Policy.
Once you have submitted the application form,
- We will contact you to take payment by credit/debit card and provide the link to obtain the Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Certificate.
- Your ‘Right to Work‘ will also be checked when you attend for your knowledge test. Please see this page for extra information.
- A full list of our fees can be viewed here.
- The Licensing Department will also take your photograph when you attend for your knowledge test. This photograph is used for ID purposes when you become licensed.
The results of your DBS will be sent to you directly in the post. You will need to submit this certificate to the Licensing Department. An electronic DVLA driving licence check will be undertaken at this time. Once we are in receipt of both sets of results, the Council will determine whether the applicant is a ‘fit and proper’ person to hold a driver’s licence. Applicants with criminal convictions or serious driving endorsements may be referred to the Licensing Judicial committee for determination. For determining if an applicant is deemed ‘fit and proper’, the council refers to it’s Taxi Licensing Policy.
All new applicants are required to have a Group 2 Medical as specified by the DVLA. This medical is to be taken with your own GP and the applicant is liable for any costs incurred. The completed medical needs to be submitted to the Licensing Department. Your completed medical can be submitted when you attend the Council offices to take your knowledge test.
An ‘Area Knowledge Test’ is then undertaken. The knowledge test is taken to test the applicants knowledge of the local areas within Hyndburn. The test also includes a section to ensure the applicant is familiar with the conditions of being a licensed driver in Hyndburn.
All new applicants will have to complete a zoom training course provided by the Blue Lamp Trust. This will have to be completed before your licence is granted. The cost is £25 and you will be sent details of how to obtain the training.
Once all the above has been completed, your driver licence will be granted and issued.
Once you become licensed, the Council will undertake a check on your DVLA driving licence on an annual basis. The e-consent you provided on application lasts for a period of three years.