History of Haworth Park
The mansion house now known as the Haworth Art Gallery was originally called Hollins Hill and belonged to Mr William Haworth JP (Ex-Mayor of Accrington) and his sister.
The Haworth has a fascinating history and to this day it is not completely researched. The house originally called Hollins Hill was built in Edwardian Tudor style for William Haworth JP (1849-1913) by Yorkshire architect Walter Brierley. The park area covers an area of 3.2 hectares including grass, woodland, shrubbery and formal gardens. Originally known as Hollins Hill Park, after the name of William’s home. The park and mansion subsequently became known as Haworth Park and Haworth Art Gallery in recognition of the family and their generous gift for the public to enjoy.
William’s father, Thomas, was a leading textile manufacturer in Accrington, owning over one thousand looms. William continued to run the business after Thomas died in 1891. William and his sister Anne moved into Hollins Hill in 1909, but four years later in 1913 William died leaving Anne to manage the house, grounds and stables until her death in 1920. William, like his father before him was a well thought of employer, a staunch liberal and supporter of the Mechanics Institute, the Public Library, Accrington Victoria Hospital, the Amateur Operatic Society and Choral Union. In bequeathing their home and its grounds to the Accrington Corporation, Anne fulfilled her brother’s desire to provide art for a magnificent Art Gallery in his native town. Hollins Hill opened to the public as Haworth Art Gallery and Park on 21 September 1921.
When Miss Haworth died in 1920 her will bequeathed the house and grounds to the Borough with a view to the grounds being laid out as a park and the house being used as an Art Gallery. The bequest also contained the sum of £28,000 for the maintenance of the house and grounds. She also bequeathed a number of valuable pictures and various items of household effects for display in the gallery.
Both Mr Haworth and his sister were known to be collectors of paintings and so the bequest was of exceptional value.
It was felt at the time, the re-naming to Haworth Art Gallery and Park would be a fitting monument to the character of brother and sister William and Anne and their gift to Accrington and their great affection for the town of Accrington.