Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

What is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support?

We no longer accept claims for Housing Benefit unless you fall into one of the following categories:

  1. You and your partner are state pension credit age. If you are not sure, you can check your state pension age online.
  2. You live in temporary or supported accommodation.
  3. You are entitled to the severe disability premium within one of the following benefits:
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income support
  • Jobseekers Allowance income based
  • Employment Support Allowance income related

If you do not fall into any of these categories, then you must apply for Universal Credit.

Universal Credit does not include Council Tax Support which can still be claimed from Hyndburn Borough Council via our online claim form.

If you do fall into one of the categories above and are on a low income or you do not work, you could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent and Council Tax Support to help you to pay your Council Tax.

How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support whether you’re unemployed or working.

Council Tax Support is a local scheme and further details can be found on our Council Tax Support pages.

You can claim Housing Benefit if you pay rent to:

  • a housing association or
  • a private landlord.

The amount of Housing Benefit you would qualify for depends on:

  • your income (and that of your partner if you have one)
  • your personal circumstances
  • any other adults (apart from partners) living with you
  • the amount of rent you pay.

You can use our online calculator to see how much Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support you may be entitled to. Housing Benefit cannot be claimed for help towards heating, hot water, gas, electricity or food.