Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Published by: , on:

House moves and other changes

If you currently receive Housing Benefit and or Council Tax support in Hyndburn, have moved to another property in Hyndburn, and none of your other circumstances have changed (such as your income) then you may be able to transfer your claim to your new house.

Please complete a Moving House Form and send it to us along with your new tenancy agreement if applicable. If you are making a new claim for Housing Benefit  please note that we no longer accept claims for Housing Benefit unless you fall into one of the following categories:

  1. You and your partner are both state pension credit age. If you are not sure, you can check your state pension age online.
  2. You live in temporary or supported accommodation.

If you do not fall into any of these categories, then you must apply for Universal Credit for help with your rent,  if you want to make a new claim for Council Tax support this can be done via the Department for Work and Pensions whilst claiming UC or  online using our e-claim.If you do not have a tenancy agreement and can claim or transfer Housing Benefit, please ask your landlord to complete a certificate of tenancy and rent for you and send the completed form to us.

Other changes

If you (or anyone in your household) have had another type of change in your circumstances, we need to know, as it could affect your claim. Changes we need to know about include

  • People moving in or out of your household including new babies
  • An increase or decrease in your income or salary
  • A change in your child care costs
  • An increase or decrease in your savings or capital
  • An increase in your state or private pension
  • Changes to your child benefit or tax credits

Changes to working tax credit

If you are claiming Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support and you are likely to be outside of Great Britain for 4 weeks or more you must notify the Council immediately.

Please note that Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.

You can tell us about a change in your circumstances using one of our forms which should be sent to us along with proof of your change.

Go to changes of circumstances e-form, some changes will mean that you move off Housing Benefits and need to claim Universal Credit. Details can be found on the Universal Credit website.

Alternatively if you need to tell the Council about a change of circumstances this can be done electronically here.

You must tell us about a change within one month of the change.

If you do not tell us about a change in your circumstances which affects your Housing Benefit and or Council Tax support entitlement, you may end up with a Housing Benefit      overpaymentor may lose Housing Benefit that you may be entitled to .

If we find that you deliberately avoided telling us about a change that reduces your Housing Benefit and or Council Tax support entitlement, you may be investigated for fraud.

If you are not sure if a change would affect your claim, please contact us. To check if you need to notify the Council.