Hyndburn Borough Council Complaints Procedure

Stage2: Making a Formal Complaint

If you are not satisfied with the answer you receive at Stage 1, you can make a formal complaint.

We will acknowledge your complaint within 5 working days. Your complaint will be investigated by a senior member of staff, usually the Manager responsible for the service you are complaining about. We aim to give you a full reply in writing within 10 working days. Occasionally, if your complaint is very serious or complicated, it may take us a little longer to complete our investigation, but we will keep you informed of our progress and let you know when you can expect to receive a full response.

You can make a formal complaint in writing, by letter or fax or you can fill in our complaints form. Alternatively, you can telephone or visit the Council Offices ( at Scaitcliffe House, Ormerod Street, Accrington, telephone: 01254 388 111) and a member of staff will take down the details of your complaint or help you to complete a complaints form.

If you decide to make a formal complaint in writing you should send it to the manager of the service you want to complain about, as follows:




Leisure Services

Parks and Open spaces

Haworth Art Gallery/ Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre

Parks and Open Spaces Manager
Planning and Transportation  Planning

Building Control

Engineering Services

Chief Planning and Transportation Manager
Environmental Health

Refuse Collection


Cemeteries and Crematorium

Environmental Health (Food)

Head of Environmental Services
Legal and Democratic services


The Council’s Legal Service

Local Land Charges

Debt Recovery Unit

Mayoral Support

Committee Services

Area Councils

Human Resources and OD


Head of Legal and Democratic Services

Housing Benefit

Council Tax

Non-Domestic Rates


ICT Services

Chief Finance Officer
Property Services Management of Council owned land and property, including business estates Corporate Property Manager
Strategic Housing and Economic Regeneration

Housing Advice

Economic Development

Town Centre Management

Housing Market Renewal

Head of Regeneration and Housing