- The first Census estimate using the 2011 data shows Hyndburn population has declined by 1% since the last Census 2001, but up on the 1991 Census findings.
- Population in Hyndburn stands at 80,734 (Census 2011) down from it’s peak in 2006 at 82,200 (ONS mid year estimates 2006).
- The latest Census data shows an increased proportion of people in the working age band, and lower proportion in the under 15’s. However, in 2011 there is a slight higher proportion of under 5’s compared with 2001.
- Latest data received from the 2011 Census indicate the number of households has increased from 33,000 in 2001 upto 34,300 in 2011.
- Average household size in Hyndburn is 2.34, compared to 2.4 across England and Wales, 2.54 in Blackburn with Darwen. Back in 1911 the average Household size across the country was 4.3 per household.
- Four fifths (81.6%) of Hyndburn’s working age population are Economically Active, slightly higher than the North West figure of 75.3%, and the national figure of 76.5%.
- Unemployment figures in Hyndburn (7.4%) is lower than neighbouring authorities, with Blackburn with Darwen having the highestlevels at 10.1% in East Lancashire, and Ribble Valley the lowest with 3.7%. In the North West Manchester has the highest proportion with 12.8%.