The Hyndburn Local Plan
The Local Plan is a series of documents produced by the Council to explain how the Borough will be developed and grow to 2037. Once complete it will fully replace the 1996 Local Plan for Hyndburn.
The Local Plan is produced in accordance with the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012, referred to as ‘the Regulations’ in these webpages.
It was initially envisaged that the Local Plan would comprise 4 key Development Plan Documents (DPDs) and progress made on that basis as follows:
- The Core Strategy DPD (first adopted 19 January 2012, now subject to review – currently in preparation*)
- The Accrington Area Action Plan DPD (adopted 19 January 2012)
- The Development Management DPD (adopted 11 January 2018); and
- The Site Allocations DPD – currently in preparation*
*Since 2021 the Core Strategy Review and the Site Allocations DPD are being taken forward as a single plan: Hyndburn Local Plan 2037 (Strategic Policies and Site Allocations).
Timetable for production of the Local Plan (Local Development Scheme)
Important Note (June 2022)
The timetable for production of the Local Plan is set out in the Council’s latest Local Development Scheme (LDS) published in February 2022. The next key stage of plan preparation will be the Publication of the Hyndburn Local Plan 2037: Strategic Policies and Site Allocations (Regulation 19) for formal consultation. However, the staff of the Planning Policy section are leaving the authority at the end of June/beginning of July so there will now be a delay in commencing the public consultation on the emerging Hyndburn Local Plan as set out in the current LDS. The Council is actively seeking to recruit new staff. When new officers are in place and the Council has a clearer idea of when the consultation will resume, the LDS and its timetable will be updated in due course. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com but please note that, from the beginning of July, this inbox will be monitored less frequently than usual and there may be a delay in responding.
Local Plan evidence base
The Council undertakes studies and gathers information relating to a wide range of matters to inform the preparation of the Local Plan and these are available to view click here
Previous Public Consultation stages – Core Strategy Review and Site Allocations DPD (all now closed)
Previous stages of public consultation on both the Core Strategy Review and Site Allocations DPDs as part of ‘Preparation’ of the plan under Regulation 18 of the Regulations are as follows:
- Regulation 18(1) consultation completed April 2018: included Core Strategy Policies scoping assessment; Core Strategy Review: Growth Options and Spatial Options; and Site Allocations DPD: Scoping and Site Assessment Methodology
- Regulation 18(2) consultation completed April 2019: included Core Strategy Review: Regulation 18 Consultation Draft; and Site Allocations DPD: Regulation 18 Consultation Draft
- Regulation 18(3) consultation December 2019 – January 2020: included further more focused consultation on Gypsy and Traveller policy and site options. This consultation closed at 5pm on Monday 27th January 2020. During consultation the Council also issued a final “Call for Sites”