Owners of The Exchange, Number 99-101 Blackburn Rd, Accrington, have begun in earnest to restore the frontage of this beautiful, historic building, as part of the Townscape Heritage Initiative project. The project has seen the transformation of Accrington Town Square and the improvement to four buildings on Blackburn Road, with more to come in the near future.
Cabinet Member for Accrington Town Centre and Deputy Council Leader, Cllr Paul Cox, welcomed this further renovation saying; “The Town Square has been the backdrop to a full year of events and it is great to see the focus on the further assets within the priority area. We are happy we could facilitate their 90% grant applications to the Heritage Lottery Fund and help them progress their schemes through the design and planning stages.”
99-101 Blackburn Road is one property in a large and distinguished stone terrace historically known as The Exchange, Blackburn Road. It is situated opposite another long row of more modest earlier shops on the opposite side of Blackburn Road and was built between 1900 and 1910 while nearby Burtons Chambers followed in the late 1920s. As with other parts of The Exchange, 99-101 Blackburn Road was designed by the prominent Accrington architect, Henry Ross. The client was a costumer called D. Flack who wanted a flamboyant façade with large areas of window glazing. The shop front displayed considerable ambition and was the finest shop in this landmark row.
Cllr Cox added; “Residents and visitors to the Town Centre will see the end result of this restoration by the end of the summer of 2020. Work is beginning to promote this building to the market as an attractive space for retail/leisure.”