Noise Nuisance

Dealing with Noise Nuisance

Informal Action

If you feel confident and safe to, try speaking directly to your neighbour or the person responsible for the noise nuisance and explain your concerns. You may find they are unaware of the problem and will co-operate to resolve the situation. In cases where you feel threatened or previous attempts have not worked, then instead contact your Local Authority.

Contact your Local Authority

You can report noise nuisance to the Environmental Health team. On receipt of your complaint, you will be sent a noise pack including log sheets on which you will be asked to record the details of any further disturbances. You may be asked to do this for a few weeks before further action can be taken.

During this time and after you return your log sheets, you will have access to the Out of Hours Noise number, details of which will be supplied in the pack. You will not have access to this number until you receive the noise pack.

When you have returned your log sheets, they will be assessed to determine the extent of the disturbance. Visits will then be made to the complainant, outside office hours where necessary to attempt to witness the noise as it is happening.

We will write to the person causing the nuisance saying that a complaint has been made, asking them to take any steps that may be necessary to reduce noise.  Details of your name and address will be kept confidential. Occasionally, however, the person you have made a complaint about may guess who has complained or may approach you to ask if you have made the complaint.

If the Council decides to take legal action in respect of your complaint, you may be asked to provide a statement and may be asked to appear in Court as a witness. We would however discuss this with you fully at the time and take your wishes into account.

Noise recording equipment may be used to gain evidence of the level and duration of noise.  If the Officer is satisfied that a Statutory Nuisance exists, a Noise Abatement Notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 will be served on the person causing the problem.  Failure to comply with the notice after the specified period of time is a criminal offence and the person could face prosecution and/or seizure of their equipment, for example stereos, speakers and musical instruments.

How to make a complaint

To make a complaint, please contact Environmental Health on 01254 388 111 or e-mail

You can also visit us at;

Regeneration and Housing Services

Scaitcliffe House

Ormerod Street