Occasional Use Notices (OUN) and Temporary Use Notices (TUN)

Published by: , on:

Occasional Use Notices

Where there is betting on a track for eight or less days in a year, betting may be permitted by an Occasional Use Notice without the need for a full Premises Licence.

A track means –

  • a horse racecourse;
  • a dog track;
  • any other premises or any part of a premises on which a race or other sporting event takes or is intended to take place.

The track does not have to be a permanent fixture and can be used for other purposes when not being utilised as a track.

No gaming machines may be provided under the provisions of an Occasional Use Notice.

A notice must be served on the Licensing Authority by the occupier of the land or a person who is responsible for the administration of events on the track.

Notices may be given in relation to consecutive days provided that the limit of eight days in a calendar year is not exceeded.

Provided that the notice will not result in betting facilities being made available for more than 8 days in any calendar year, there is no provision for any counter notices or objections to be submitted.


Temporary Use Notices


These will allow the use of premises for gambling where there is no Premises Licence but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling. Premises that might be suitable for a Temporary Use Notice (TUN) would include hotels, conference centres, and sporting venues.

A TUN may only be granted to a person or company holding a relevant Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission.

The Regulations state that the only activities permitted under a TUN are the provision of facilities for any form of equal chance gaming where those participating in the gaming are taking part in a competition which is intended to produce a single, overall winner (this does not include providing such facilities in circumstances where any person participating in the gaming does so by means of a gaming machine).

A TUN must be lodged not less than 3 months and 1 day before the day on which the gambling event will begin.

For further information on Occasional Use Notices & Temporary Use Notices, please refer to the Gambling Commission website.