Who do we hold personal information about ?
- People who are engaged in a legal transaction with the Council (such as people who wish to buy or lease land or buildings from the Council, people selling land to the Council and people entering into a contract with the Council)
- People with whom the Council is engaged in litigation (or against whom litigation is being considered) or against whom the Council is taking enforcement action or against whom such action is being considered, such as people the Council is prosecuting, or has served with an enforcement notice
What types of personal information do we hold ?
We will collect and use the following types of personal information:
- Your contact details (such as name, address, telephone number, email address)
- Contact details for your solicitor or advisor, if you have one (such as name, address, telephone number, email address)
- Your date of birth
- Information about money owed to the Council, together with invoices, receipts, details of payments you have made and your bank account details
- Information relating to enforcement action we may already have taken against you or about your previous convictions
- Information about you from investigations the Council has carried out, such as interview records, photographs, CCTV footage, barrister’s advice and witness statements
- Land Registry records or other information about land and property you own
This may be information you and / or your agents will have supplied to us, or we may carry out investigations and collect information about you from other people, including the Police
What types of special categories of personal information do we hold ?
We may collect and use the following types of personal information:
- Information about any previous criminal convictions
- Health details or details of vulnerability (such as being in care or having a learning disability etc.) where this is relevant to the work of the Legal Section
This is usually information either you, or our client departments within the Council, have supplied to us.
What do we use personal information for ?
- To provide legal advice to our client departments within the Council, and act for them, in respect of their dealings with you
- To investigate complaints about you
- To take enforcement action in accordance with the Council’s statutory powers, which may include prosecution or other litigation
What is the legal basis for the use of personal information ?
We will process your personal information (including special categories of personal information) in accordance with our obligations under the Data Protection Act 2018. In particular, we will use your personal information:
- With your consent; and / or
- Where this is necessary to perform a task in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Council; and / or
- To protect your vital interests or those of another person.
Who might we share your personal information with ?
Sometimes we will share your personal information with other agencies in order to perform a task in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us. For example, we may share your personal information:
- With the Police in connection with an investigation; and
- With your solicitor or other agents;
- With the courts in connection with legal proceedings;
- With bailiffs in respect of debt recovery matters
- With a barrister, private sector solicitor or expert witnesses acting for the Council in respect of a legal matter