Private Tenants – Advice and Support

How do I find a private let? / Where to Look for Private Rented Accommodation  

  • Local newspapers – Accrington Observer / Lancashire Evening Telegraph
  • Local letting agents and estate agents
  • Shop windows and boards
  • Adverts in windows of vacant houses
  • Word of mouth – ask around
  • Placing your own advert in a newspaper or shop window
  • B with us choice based lettings – sometimes advertise private lets
  • Other online property advertising services
  • Hyndburn BC Housing Advice Team Tel: 01254 388 111 or


Hyndburn’s Bond / Rent Deposit Scheme  

Hyndburn Council runs a Bond Scheme to assist priority need homeless households access a private tenancy. Find out more by following this link:-

Bond / Rent Deposit Scheme

What if the property is in a poor state of repair?  

If you have concerns about the state of repair of your home you should contact your landlord in the first instance. If bad housing conditions are putting your health or safety at risk you can get help and advice from the Council’s Housing Standards Team.

Further advice can be found by following this link:-

Repairs in privately rented properties

Your Right to Remain in your home  

Your landlord can only evict you if s/he gets a court order. Even then you have the right to stay until s/he gets a bailiff’s warrant.

If you have a tenancy for a fixed period e.g. 6 or 12 months you do not have to move out when that period ends. If you do not sign a new agreement, your tenancy automatically becomes a ‘periodic tenancy’. Your landlord can only evict you by serving notice and then getting a possession order.

You can get further information by following this link:-

Illegal Eviction and Harassment