Registration of Food Operators

Food Business Registration Requirements

Registration of premises used for a food business is required by law. This includes market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures.

Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in the area so we can visit them when we need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

Food establishments include-

  • farm shops
  • food manufacturing/processing
  • packers
  • importers
  • wholesale cash and carry
  • distribution/warehousing
  • retailers
  • restaurants/cafes/snack bars
  • markets and stalls
  • seasonal slaughterers
  • staff restaurants/canteens/kitchens
  • catering
  • hospitals/residential homes/schools
  • hotels/pubs/guest houses
  • private houses used for a food business
  • moveable establishments e.g. ice-cream vans, hot dog vans
  • food brokers
  • takeaways etc

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separetely. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell us where they are normally kept.