The designation requires any house which is let or occupied under a tenancy or licence within the area to be licensed by the Council unless:-
- a) The house is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) and is required to be licensed under Part 2 of the Housing Act 2004;
- b) The tenancy or licence of the house has been granted by a registered social landlord;
- c) The house is subject to an Interim or Final Management Order under Part 4 of the Housing Act 2004;
- d) The house is subject to a temporary exemption under Section 86 of the Housing Act 2004; or
- e) The house is occupied under a tenancy or licence which is exempt under the Housing Act 2004 or the occupation is of a building or part of a building so exempt as defined in The Selective Licensing of Houses (Specified Exemptions) (England) Order 2006 – SI 370/2006.
Please note if you wish to claim an exemption due to a family member residing in the property please complete a Specified Exemption Application Form. Proof of relationship will need to accompany the form which should be presented to the Private Rented Team at your earliest opportunity. This proof will usually be by way of birth / marriage certificates (several may be required to show the link).
A licence is not required if a Temporary Exemption Notice is in effect (See later);
For full details of exemptions please refer to The Selective Licensing of Houses (Specified Exemptions)( England ) Order 2006 which can be found at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/370/contents/made