Self-Build Register

Custom Housebuilding

The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on councils to keep (and publish) a register of individuals and community groups (associations of individuals) locally who want to acquire land for self-build homes and to have regard to these registers in carrying out the following functions:

  • planning (including preparation of local plans);
  • housing;
  • the disposal of any land by the authority; and
  • regeneration.

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016   state that:

an individual is eligible for entry on the local register if they are:

  • aged 18 or over;
  • a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.

an association is eligible for entry in the register if each member of the association meets all eligibility requirements for an individual set out above.

The Council will gather evidence to see if there is a particular demand for self-build development within the borough and use this in the preparation of the new Local Plan. Please be aware that self-build homes are subject to the same requirement for planning permission as other homes.