About Smoke Free Regulations
Since 1 July 2007, all enclosed workplaces and public places are now smoke free.
A smoke free England will ensure a healthier environment, so everyone can socialise, relax, travel, shop and work free from secondhand smoke.
This includes your business. In order to comply with the legislation Employers, managers and those in charge of smokefree premises and vehicles must:
- Display ‘no smoking’ sign at the entrance of the smokefree premises.
- Take reasonable steps to ensure that staff, customers/members and visitors are aware that premises and vehicles are legally required to be smokefree.
- Ensure that no one smokes in the smoke free premises or vehicles
You may also want to take these supportive measures:
- Remove ashtrays from smokefree areas.
- Develop a smoke free policy in consultation with staff.
- Provide your staff and customers with support to quit smoking.
- Ensure that your staff and customers know where they can smoke if they choose to.