Bulky Waste Collections

You can arrange for the collection of larger items of household waste that would not normally fit inside a grey wheeled bin through the free collection service.

Please see the list of items we will / do not collect.

How do I request a Bulky Household Waste Collection?

First check that your items are in the acceptable list eligible for a free collection. If they are, you can make a booking as follows :-

Remember, the Council’s service is limited to a maximum of 6 acceptable items per booking per calendar month.

You must describe the items carefully and let us know where they are located, e.g. in your back yard or on the drive. If the items will be in your back yard, you must leave your gate unlocked. Bookings must be made at least 24 hours before your grey bin day as collections will take place the day before your grey bin collection.  Please note that collections will only be made Monday to Friday unless your refuse collection day has changed to a Saturday due to a bank holiday.

If we cannot gain access, then we will automatically cancel the request.  However if you still require the Bulky Collection you must re-book it via myhyndburn

Please note that due to insurance problems, crews are not permitted to remove items from the property itself.

How can I dispose of waste from the non-acceptable item list?

Please remember, there are hefty fines for fly-tipping waste. If the items you require removing are not eligible for the Council’s free collection service, i.e. they are in the list of non-acceptable items, you may wish to consider the following alternatives:-

  • Recycling Lives is an award-winning charity, operating a bulky waste collection service via its commercial arm. They will collect most items on the non-acceptable list and re-use and recycle as much of it as possible. Please note there is a charge for this service.
  • Your Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment can now be recycled through your retailer. Retailers now have a responsibility under the W.E.E.E. Regulations to allow customers to return items free of charge when purchasing a similar replacement item i.e. old kettle for new kettle.
  • Take your waste to one of the household waste recycling centres such as the one at Whinney Hill, Accrington.
  • Use a reputable local skip company. You must ask for a duty of care note from the company. This is a legal document that will inform you which licensed waste disposal facility your waste will be taken to and confirms they are legally licensed to carry waste.