Club Premises Certificates

Variation of a Club Premises Certificate

If you wish to amend a Club Premises Certificate, the Licensing Act (2003) allows in most cases, for an application to vary the licence to be made, rather than an application for a new Club Premises Certificate.

A Club Premises Certificate can be varied by:

  • the hours during which a licensable activity is permitted
  • adding or removing licensable activities
  • amending, adding or removing conditions within a licence and
  • altering any aspect of the layout of the premises which is shown on the plan

A variation cannot be used to vary a licence to:

  • extend a time-limited licence or to
  • transfer the licence from one premises to another

Depending on the proposed changes it may be possible for you to submit a ‘minor variation’ application instead of a variation to a Club Premises Certificate.

To make an application to vary a Club Premises Certificate, you need to:

  • complete the prescribed application form which includes an Operating Schedule
  • enclose the prescribed fee by either cash, cheque or Postal Order made payable to Hyndburn Borough Council.  We can also take credit/debit card payments over the telephone
  • enclose a plan of the premises to which the application relates (if the original plan is to be altered)
  • enclose the existing Club Premises Certificate

As part of the application process, you are required to publicise your application in two different ways:

  • by publishing a public notice in a local newspaper, on one occasion within 10 working days of making your application to the Licensing                 Authority.  Local newspapers to Hyndburn are  Accrington Observer  and Lancashire Evening Telegraph.
  • by displaying a statutory notice (on blue paper, A4 or larger) at or near the premises, for 28 days.

Advertising your application gives Responsible Authorities, local residents and any other interested parties the opportunity to make representations in respect of your application during the 28 day notice period. If the representation is valid it may result in a Licensing Sub-Committee under Hearing Regulations.  In some cases, the Licensing Authority will invite parties involved to a mediation meeting.

If there are no representations, the application will be granted in the terms sought.

Please see the guidance leaflet giving detailed information on the process of applying for a variation of a Club Premises Certificate.