Sex Establishments

Licensing of Sex Establishments in Hyndburn

Sex Establishments are required to be licensed under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.

A sex establishment can either be Sex Shop or a Cinema.

A sex shop is a premises used for business which consists to a significant degree of selling sex articles.

A sex cinema is any premises used to a significant degree for showing of films which are concerned primarily with, or relate to, or are intended to stimulate sexual activity.

The law defines the way in which an application is made, which include advertising notice of the application in the local press and displaying a notice outside the premises for a specific time period to give passers by the opportunity to comment by a statutory closing date.

When considering an application for a sex establishment licence the Council may only consider the following criteria:

  • The suitability of the applicant
  • The location and situation of the premises in relation to other premises in the vicinity
  • Whether the number of sex establishments in that locality is equal to, or exceeds the number which the Council considers appropriate for the area.

Contact us for more information on:

Licensing Department
Scaitcliffe House
Ormerod Street
Tel. 01254 388111 (between 11.00am – 4.00pm)