Disused railway line.
The Accrington to Ramsbottom section of railway line was opened in 1848 and was notorious for its steep 1:40 gradient. The line was also unusual for crossing a mill lodge (Platts Lodge), originally the millpond for the Broad Oak Printworks. The original railway bridge over Nuttall St was widened in 1936 to allow lorries through to the industrial area. A datestone has been incorporated on the wall at the Nuttall St entrance to commemorate the rebuild. The line closed in December 1966.
The Five Arches Bridge at Shoe Mill remained until 1981 when it was demolished and replaced by the current bridge in 1992.