Applying for an Private Hire Operators Licence
To apply for a Private Hire operator’s licence you need to contact the Licensing Department to discuss your intended application.
After the initial enquiry with the Licensing Department, you will be advised to contact the Planning Department at Hyndburn Borough Council, who will discuss your intended business address.
On approval of the intended business address from the Planning Department, you may then submit to the Licensing Department the following documents:
- A completed Private Hire Operator Licence application form. To see more about how we record and store your information please view the Council’s privacy notice.
- The current Private Hire Operator Licence fee
- If not currently a licensed driver with Hyndburn Borough Council, a completed Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application form with 3 forms of identification for a basic disclosure check to be performed. Please see DBS website for information on IDs that can be produced.
- Valid planning consent from the Planning Department.
- A valid Public and Employers Liability Insurance Certificate
- A valid radio communications licence (Please contact OfCom)
- A template of your company door signs
- Proof of right to live and work in the UK for each person named on the application, such as a passport or a residence permit.
Failure to produce any of the above documents will cause a delay as your application will not be accepted.
The Council will refuse your application or take action in relation to an existing licence if:-
- The premises nominated does not have valid planning consent or, proof that consent has been given, or there is a breach of planning conditions
- The nominated premises are not located within the area covered by Hyndburn Borough Council
- You are not in day to day control of the business
- You have ever previously held a Private Hire/Hackney Carriage Licence that has been revoked or refused
- You lack knowledge of the Private Hire trade and are unaware of the licence conditions
- You have not produced all documents/information requested by the Licensing Department
- You have exhibited behavior which in the opinion of the Authority is inconsistent with that expected of a Hyndburn Borough Council licence holder
- The full fee has not been paid
Once the Private Hire Operator Licence has been approved, the licence is valid for a period of 1 or 5 years, whichever has been applied and paid for.
The licensed operator shall adhere to the operator licence conditions which includes keeping and maintaining at all times for a period of not less than six months, a record of hiring showing the particulars of every booking of a Hackney Carriage/Private Hire vehicle, including any booking accepted at the request of another operator. The operator shall enter in a suitable bound book of which the pages are numbered consecutively or on a computer database detailing the following information:
- The date and time of each booking
- The name and address of the hirer
- The method which the booking was received (i.e. telephone or in person)
- The dates, time and place of the commencement of each hiring
- The journey, from and to
- The vehicle licence number and the driver call-sign