Small Society Lotteries

Other Types of Lotteries

The Gambling Act 2005 regulates a number of other types of lottery, although Hyndburn Borough Council only has responsibility for small society lotteries.

If you require further information on any of the following categories of lottery, please contact the Gambling Commission.

Any non-commercial society that organises a single lottery expected to raise more than £20,000, or multiple lotteries raising more than £250,000 in a calendar year, must hold a Lottery Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission.

Incidental lotteries are those held entirely at non-commercial events (i.e. all tickets are sold and the draw is made at the event), where all the money raised at the event goes entirely to purposes that are not for private or commercial gain.

Private society, work or residents lotteries are those where tickets are only sold to society members, workers in or residents of a premises. An example might be a weekly raffle where tickets are sold only to the residents of a residential care home.

Customer lotteries are those run by occupiers of business premises selling tickets only to customers on the premises itself.