Homelessness and Housing Advice

Advice for Members of the Armed Forces

Anyone leaving the armed forces, or who is a former member, may be entitled to help from the council if they are homeless or threatened with homelessness. The government has made a commitment to support ex-forces personnel, veterans and their families to provide the support they need and ensure they are treated with the dignity they deserve.

Hyndburn has an Armed Forces Community Covenant which agrees to support the delivery of agreed priorities including ‘families and housing’.

Notice to vacate

When you receive your Notice to vacate/93 day notice, contact our housing options team as soon as possible to arrange an interview. The team can be contacted via email at Strat@hyndburnbc.gov.uk. Telephone 01254-388111.

You will be classed as threatened with homelessness and the council will start working with you to prevent your homelessness.

We will try and help you find accommodation that you can move into on discharge but this may not always be possible. If you are actually homeless on discharge, then we need to assess if we owe you a duty to provide temporary accommodation but you will not necessarily be a priority just because you have been in the forces.

Q – What are my Housing Options?

Social housing

If possible, prior to discharge, complete a housing application for social housing via B-with-us. This is the sub-regional housing register covering the boroughs of Hyndburn, Blackburn with Darwen, Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale. The application is all done via their website. www.b-with-us.com

All social housing vacancies are advertised on a daily basis through the website.

Armed Forces applicants are given additional preference on the housing register and are not required to prove a local connection to qualify for rehousing.

Applicants who have received their 93 day notice to vacate will be classed as threatened with homelessness and have their banding increased in accordance with their priority status.

There is limited social housing and there is no guarantee that you would receive an offer before being discharged.

Private Renting

The main advantage of private rented accommodation is that you will have a greater degree of choice in terms of location and type of property, and there is generally good availability so it is more likely that you would find a property before or shortly after you are discharged.

You may also wish to start looking at suitable private renting options on websites such as ‘Right Move’ or ‘Spare Room.’

We may be able to assist you with a Bond or Rent in Advance to access private rented accommodation

Help with Housing Costs

If you are receiving a state benefit or on a low income once discharged, you can apply for help towards your rent. In Hyndburn this will be through Universal Credit for working age people unless you live in supported housing.

If you are looking to rent a private rented property, the maximum amount of help you can get is set by the Local Housing Allowance (LHA). If you are under 35, you will only be able to get rent to cover you for a room in a shared house. Please see LHA rate on the Hyndburn Council website https://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/housing-benefit-and-council-tax-support-2/3/

Help available from other agencies:

  • SSAFA The armed forces charity – Supporting military families. SSAFA work to ensure that the needs of the Armed Forces, veterans and their families are met in an appropriate and timely way. Their mission is to relieve need, suffering and distress amongst the Armed Forces, veterans and their families in order to support their independence and dignity. They work to alleviate suffering and distress by providing appropriate, affective and timely support. For more information regarding how they can help, please visit their website www.ssafa.org.uk/
  • The Royal British Legion – The Royal British Legion provides lifelong support for the Armed Forces community – serving men and women, veterans, and their families. They help today’s Service men and women, veterans, and their families in almost every aspect of daily life. One main purpose of the British Legion is to care for those who had suffered as a result of service in the Armed Forces during the war, whether through their own service or through that of a family member. For more information regarding how they can help, please visit their website www.britishlegion.org.uk/
  • Help for Heroes – Whether you’re a veteran of the armed forces or currently serving, a family member or loved one, you can contact Help for Heroes. If you are living with anxiety and stress, are struggling financially, or just need a listening ear, they can help. From financial grants to housing advice, they offer support with your finances and welfare to help you achieve your goals. They can also help if you are struggling with your mental health, they have a psychological wellbeing team who are there to listen and help. For more information regarding how they can help, please visit their website www.helpforheroes.org.uk/get-support
  • Veterans Gateway – This website offers all types of advice including housing. https://www.veteransgateway.org.uk/   Telephone helpline 0808 8021212
  • The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES)

SPACES is a housing advice and placement service for veterans. SPACES target the most vulnerable of service leavers, regardless of rank, length of service, or reason for discharge. www.spaces.org.uk Helpline 01748 833797/ 872940/ 830191

  • Help 4 Homeless Veterans

Their mission is to source and provide accommodation to Ex Service Personnel who are living rough or in unsatisfactory accommodation www.help4homelessveterans.org.uk Helpline 07586 777856 .

  • Alabare: Homes for Veterans

Provides temporary accommodation to veterans who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. www.alabare.co.uk/homes-services Helpline 07122 322882

  • Veterans Aid

Helping ex-servicemen and women in crisis. Enables sustainable, independent living with support. www.veterans-aid.net Helpline 0800 0126867/020 78282468

Local Organisations

Local Armed Forces charities include Salute, the Veterans Association and Veterans in the Community http://veteransincommunities.org/index.html