History of Memorial Park
The land which today comprises Memorial Park and playing fields became a public park on 25 July, 1920 after a total of 22 acres of land was purchased by several local people and handed over to the Urban District Council of Great Harwood as a public park.
The freehold title was conveyed to the Council for the purposes of a public park as the Council may deem proper. Portions of the area are subject to restrictions; for example, the building of houses is specifically excluded, except if they are for occupation by persons employed on the park and their families.
The actual War Memorial in the Remembrance Garden was unveiled on 2 October 1926 by Major General Sir Neil Malcolm, K.C.B., D.S.O., who was assisted in the unveiling by a Mrs. Ormerod of Great Harwood, who had lost three sons in the war.
An additional source of online information is available on the Great Harwood history and information site.
Further historical information is available upon request please call 01254 388 111 or email Enquiries@hyndburnbc.gov.uk