Our website and privacy
What information do we collect from visitors to our website ?
We do not collect personal information about people who browse our website except when you voluntarily submit your personal details to us by completing an online form or by sending us an email. For example:
- feedback – e.g. through our ‘Enquiry’ form and our ‘Comments, Compliments and Complaints’ form. In order to answer your question or investigate your complaint we may need to share your personal information with other bodies, such as Lancashire County Council or Government Departments
- information submitted in online forms or with online payments
Where we collect personal information in this way we will:
- use your personal information in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations 2016, the Data Protection Law Enforcement Directive 2016, the Data Protection Act 2018 and any other applicable legislation
- tell you why we are collecting the personal information
- only use the personal information for the purpose for which it was collected
- only share your personal information with other people or organisations if we have told you this when we collected the information from you, or if this is required by law, or in order to carry out our local authority functions in accordance with the data protection legislation referred to above
- not use your personal information for marketing purposes unless we have your consent
- retain your personal information in accordance with our retention policies
- respect your rights in respect of your personal information – to find out more see Your Rights
- we will keep your information securely
What about security ?
Our software ‘encrypts’ all your personal information, including your name and address and credit or debit card numbers if you make an online payment. This means your information is converted to bits of code that are unreadable by other people, websites or organisations. We translate the code back into information for our use. If you want to make an online payment we transmit the credit or debit card number to the appropriate card company and do not keep a copy of this information.
Please protect against unauthorised access to your passwords and to your computer or mobile device. We recommend you to log out of secure sites, especially when you use a shared computer.
We aim to have a secure website and we use security technology to protect your personal information, but we are not responsible for the security of personal information you decide to send to us over the internet.
What happens when I follow links to another website ?
On this site you will find links to other external websites which we have provided for your information and convenience. This privacy notice applies solely to Hyndburn Council. When you visit other websites you should read their privacy notices to understand their approach to data protection issues.