How do I become a Councillor?
If you wish to stand for election you must be:
- A British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of another European State
- 18 years of age or over at the date of nomination
- Included on the Register of Electors for Hyndburn or be someone who has either lived or worked in the Borough for the whole of the 12 months before nomination.
You cannot stand if:
- you are employed by the Borough Council
- you are bankrupt
- you have been given a prison sentence of three months or more (even if the sentence was suspended) in the last five years
- you have been disqualified from standing by a court or tribunal.
Download our How to Become a Councillor leaflet for further information and details.