Premise Licences

Minor Variation

It is possible to make small changes to your premises licence through the minor variation process, which is cheaper, easier and quicker than the full variation process.

A minor variation is defined as one that could not impact adversely on any of the four licensing objectives.

The process may be used for changes such as:

  • small changes to the structure or layout of a premises;
  • the addition of authorisation for late night refreshment or regulated entertainment (such as performance of plays or film exhibitions);
  • small changes to licensing hours (but see below on changes that relate to alcohol);
  • revisions, removals and additions of conditions (this could include the removal or amendment of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions, or the addition of volunteered conditions).

The minor variations process cannot be used to:

  • add the retail or supply of alcohol to a licence
  • extend licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol at any time between 11pm and 7am;
  • increase the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold by retail or supplied;
  • extend the period for which the licence or certificate has effect;
  • transfer the licence or certificate from one premises to another, or vary substantially the premises to which it relates
  • specify, in a premises licence, an individual as the premises supervisor;
  • add the sale by retail or supply of alcohol as an activity authorised by a licence or certificate; or
  • disapply the mandatory conditions relating to a designated premises supervisor (there is a separate process by which community premises can apply for this).

To make an application for a minor variation, you need to:

  • enclose a completed application form
  • To see more about how we record and store your information please the Council’s privacy notice
  • enclose the existing premises licence
  • enclose an amended plan (if the original plan is to be altered)
  • enclose the prescribed fee of £89.00 by either cash, cheque or Postal Order made payable to Hyndburn Borough Council.  We can also take credit/debit card payments over the telephone.
  • enclose documents demonstrating the applicant’s entitlement to live and work in the UK (see guidance from the Home Office)

You must publicise your application by displaying a statutory notice at or near the premises for a period of 10 working days, after submitting your application to the Licensing Authority.

You are advised to discuss your proposed variation with the appropriate Responsible Authorities before submitting your application.

The Licensing Authority will consult with certain statutory bodies that may be relevant to your application.  They will take into account any relevant representations received from those bodies, or from any local residents or businesses in the vicinity of your premises. Your application will only be granted if it is considered that the proposed variations, both individually and cumulatively, will not adversely affect the licensing objectives.

The Licensing Authority must process the application and determine it within 15 working days starting on the first working day after receipt of the application.

Please see the guidance leaflet giving detailed information on the process of applying for a minor variation.