Premise Licences

Interim Authority Notice

A premises licence will lapse on the death, incapacity or insolvency of the holder. The effect of an interim authority notice is to reinstate the premises licence as if the person giving the notice is the holder of the licence. This allows licensable activities to continue for a maximum period of three months pending its formal disposal or transfer.

You may give an interim authority notice if you:

  • Have a legal interest in the premises as freeholder or leaseholder
  • Are a limited company, partnership, unincorporated association or other organisation with a legal interest in the premises as a freeholder or leaseholder
  • Are a personal representative for the former premises licence holder (where the former licence holder has died)
  • Have power of attorney
  • Are the insolvency practitioner for the former premises licence holder

You must give the notice to the Licensing Authority within 28 days beginning the day after the licence lapsed. You must also send a copy of the notice and copies of any accompanying documents to the Police and Home Office Immigration Enforcement.  Please see our Responsible Authorities information sheet for their contact details.

If you are applying as an individual or partnership (which is not a limited liability partnership) you must demonstrate that you have an entitlement to live and work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing you from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity. To do this you must provide copies or scanned copies of the relevant documents with your application.

The notice becomes effective as soon as it is served on the Licensing Authority. The person who gives the notice then becomes the holder of the licence.

Applying for an interim authority notice:

  • Complete the application form
  • To see more about how we record and store your information please the Council’s privacy notice
  • Include the prescribed fee of £23.00, this can be either cash, cheque or Postal Order made payable to Hyndburn Borough Council.   We can also take credit/debit card payments over the telephone.
  • Enclose the existing premises licence, or if not available a statement why the licence cannot be returned
  • Enclose documents demonstrating the applicant’s entitlement to live and work in the UK (see guidance from the Home Office)

A copy of the application must be submitted to the Police, contact information is shown on our information leaflet Responsible Authorities.

As soon as we receive your notification, we will check to ensure that the notice is valid and that it has been submitted to the Police.

If the Police or Home Office have concerns, they may object to the application (within 2 working days). In such cases we will contact you. If you wish to proceed with the application we will hold a hearing of the Council’s licensing committee to decide on the notification.

Once the notice comes into effect it will last for a maximum of 3 months. You must apply to transfer the licence within this time, otherwise the licence will lapse.

You must notify the designated premises supervisor (DPS) of the interim authority notice.